Saturday, October 11, 2014

First Night

So today was my first shift as a night auditor at a hotel. I'm still training so I'm with another person but she is the girl I will be replacing next week so this is a very brief introduction. There are a few things to cover.

First of all I had to shift my sleep schedule today. I went to sleep pretty late last night and slept in. I woke up, did a few things, went to some friends houses, and came home for a three hour nap. When I awoke I ate, showered and left for work. My shift started at 11pm. It is now almost 6am and I am approaching my final hour of my first shift overnight. Once finished here I have to drive home, take a two-hour nap, then go out to coach followed by a trip to the other side of town to watch the last part of my brother's game that we will miss most of due to coaching. By no means am I complaining. I'm just trying to point out the hectic schedule of my weekend. Also tonight I have to do another night audit shift. So anytime I'm home I'll probably be sleeping. Again: not complaining! I actually really enjoy this job and even though the hours are odd they are keeping me out of trouble for a few weeks and giving me funds to enjoy myself once I'm finished with this job.

The second part is the things I have to do. While most of it is paperwork I also have to do some property checks and walk around the halls at some points (not very often but it's honestly the most excitement I get physically) to deliver papers. Besides that I'm standing at a desk in uncomfortable dress shoes and have to remain close to the desk should a guest come requesting help. I'm not a pussy and by no means am I not used to having to be active but God Damn standing in these shoes with good posture hurts after this long. Most of the employees were warning that I wouldn't have any way of keeping myself awake. They don't allow me to have my phone at the desk however I am allowed to use the computer. I made some modifications (they were making us use Internet Explorer so I downloaded Chrome and have been using that) and now have been working on homework/personal research the whole day and haven't complained at all! I'm rather enjoying this. I've even played iHeartRadio the whole time at a low level and really enjoyed myself tonight.

The last part I'll mention is the girl I'm working with (technically she is training me but we are sharing the work load and she is not really teaching me much just making sure to be there if I have any questions) she is really cool. The only reason this is very odd for me is that she is in her 40's. Yet she is very social and talkative. She has issues and reactions I would expect out of a young adult and has such an enjoyment for what she is leaving for that I almost question if she is truly that old at all. We've talked about a lot today and while a bit of it was pretty heavy most of it was very laidback and casual. It is always interesting to realize the people I meet at this job are never ordinary and by no means would I ever meet them in any scenario outside of a forced one; yet here they all are. These wonderful people of my life all gathered at a place where I am too and inadvertently reminding me that while we may not have a lot of similar interests I can really connect with almost everyone here simply because they are also people. Maybe sometimes we forget that people who are different than us are still similar in one way or another. I probably won't invite this girl out anywhere outside of work. But that doesn't mean I won't remember this conversation for some time. Maybe not forever but it won't easily fade from memory. So here's my grateful list for today:

Today is October 11, 2014. It is now 6:24am.

Today I am thankful for:

The changing weather: God I love rain.

All my friends in opposite timezones to keep me company during these nights.

My mother: For always giving me opportunities.

My longboard: While I probably won't ride it today I still miss that joy I get from it.

Strangers: You never know when one of them will become your next best friend.

Opportunity: Because no matter how many we throw away there will always be another.

And that's about it for now. I'm sure there are more but these are just the few off the top of my head. Hopefully you all have a great day and I hope my day didn't bore you all too much. Until next time guys.

Stay safe and smile!

-Riley Hoiem

No comments:

Post a Comment